List of Deadly Xylitol Containing Ingredients (including Peanut Butter!)

 

If you indulge your beloved dog with occasional peanut butter, please be aware of an increasingly common artificial sweetener called Xylitol.

 

Xylitol is very toxic to dogs even in small quantities.

 

"Ingestion of as little as 0.1 gram (g) of xylitol per kilogram (kg) of body weight (0.1 g/kg) can cause a rapid and dangerous drop in a dog’s blood sugar (a condition called “hypoglycemia”). Hypoglycemia can show as staggering, appearing disoriented, collapse, weakness, and seizures. Just slightly more than that, approx. 0.5 g/kg xylitol ingestion, can lead to debilitating, and sadly often deadly, destruction of a dog’s liver cells."

 

You may read and download this Peer Reviewed information about Canine Xylitol Toxicity here.

 

For an extensive list of food, gum, peanut butter and more that contain the Xylitol that could harm or kill your beloved dog, please visit Preventative Vet's updated list here.

 

Please, as always, make sure to read the ingredients of your products and if you have something containing Xylitol, keep it far away from your dog.

 

 

 

 

 

Please reload

Featured Posts

Yellow Lawn Urine Burns 101

March 9, 2015

1/3
Please reload

Recent Posts